Be part of our Vehicle Concepts Team at Lotus Tech and work within New Product Development as we accelerate innovation in the fields of batteries and energy management, electric motors, electronic control systems, intelligent driving, intelligent manufacturing and more.
About the role
As a Cabin Concepts Lead Engineer, you will deliver world class package, ergonomics and usability attributes for Lotus’ highly innovative and ground-breaking range of products.
The role reports to the Head of Feasibility & Package Engineering in the UK and is based in Coventry, West Midlands, UK.
This role is based within the Global Product Development Team, part of the Research, Design and Development (Lotus Tech) facility in the UK. You will be working within the Feasibility and Package Engineering Team, responsible for delivering world class interior packages focusing on design leadership, technical leadership, usability, ergonomics and human factors.
Collaborating closely with UK based design teams and engineering colleagues worldwide for our vehicle development programs, you will take global responsibility and participate in company-wide feature evaluation in order to align feature needs of all future products.
As a Lead Engineer you will be involved in all engineering phases, from advanced engineering to concept generation, detailed development and industrialisation.
Typical tasks include supporting the Head of PKG across all of the below:
- Benchmarking, master sections, concept generation, ergonomics target setting and issue management during the project
- Lead cross functional design-tech issue resolution, providing innovative solutions for problems
- Supporting in preparing ergonomics and daily life usage status reports for gateway papers as part of program deliverables
- Co-ordinate and lead human factors engineering and ergonomics activities, such as testing, investigation or validation
- Analyse Vehicle Attribute Profile with product definition and engineering teams (storages, seats folding etc.)
- Competitor vehicle analysis, performing feature evaluations, CAD benchmarking and setting feature targets for various on-going projects across multiple programs
- Responsible for ergonomics subjective evaluations on the built vehicles/seating bucks
- Plan testing of designs, related to the usability and UI of the product (graphical and physical)
- Apply CAD modelling or quantitative analysis (such as FMEA) to forecast events, such as human decisions or behaviours, in particular related to potential hazardous situations, to ensure the safety and usability of designs
- Develop relevant CAD proposals, methods, plans, reports and reviews for package development tasks
- Creating and Maintaining CV spec (geometric targets and keep out zones) in Catia V5
- Jointly responsible for the vehicle packaging drawing, develop and monitor achievement of overall vehicle technical targets integrating design, CAE, legal and performance criteria
- Be jointly responsible for creating and documenting vehicle package and ergonomics design guidelines
- Manage evaluation of mock ups and experiments for vehicle concepts
- Collect data through direct observational studies or witnessing of tests to inform or evaluate design offerings
- Develop or implement research methodologies and statistical analysis plans to test and evaluate developmental prototypes used in new products
- Advocate for end users during the entire product development process and product lifecycle in collaboration with other teams including design managers, quality department, product research, development and testing
- Mentor colleagues worldwide in areas of concept development, package and ergonomics, smart tools in CAD and MS Office.
- An expert in your field with in-depth knowledge relating to occupant layout, CAD concepts development, mechanical package, ergonomics and Human Machine Interface (HMI) for automotive and consumer brands
- Background in vehicle package development, ergonomics, human factors and research activities
- Proven track record of design development in and/or for industry (e.g., Aerospace, Automotive)
- Technical, personal and business credibility to work effectively with cross functional teams and at different levels inside the organisation
- Perseverance to get the correct result and passion for success
- BE/B Tech/ME/M Tech in Mechanical Engineering/Product Design/Ergonomics with more than 8 years of experience
- Should have worked in automotive engineering development environment or Physical Ergonomics (human factors) and driver interface systems
- Should be able to identify and rectify problems
- Should have good knowledge of homologation activities connected with Ergonomics and HMI area. (Vehicle Level Homologation support and integration)
- Knowledge of ergonomics standards for different markets
- Should be good in creating new methodology for ergonomic assessments
- Proficient in operating CATIA V5, TeamCenter
- Knowledge of basic vehicle architecture analysis
- Exposure to AR/VR usage in HMI and Ergonomics domain
- Should be good in compiling and presenting information verbally and in writing
- Innovative and creative mindset to provide engineering solutions and concepts
- Should be enthusiastic to learn and implement new software and technologies as per project requirements
- Maintaining CV spec (targets and keep out zones) in Catia V5
- Experience with Interior & Infotainment, ADAS systems
- Experience with Occupant Set-up, Vision & Ergonomics Assessments
- Experienced Catia V5 Designer, proficient in Surface Development and Part Design
- Well-organised and methodical approach to planning and executing studies, with minimal supervision
- Excellent interpersonal & organisational skills, with good attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Able to work in start-up environment
- Travel to China, Europe or other group locations for supporting ergonomics and HF assessments and discussions.
- SUV, Saloons and sports car experience in multiple functions